Dirt Drivers 431 Active Users
Register Now  |  Log In
Home   Message Boards   Classifieds   Dirt Driver Directory(tm)   Race Results   Rainout Report(tm)
Login  |   Register Now  |   Memberships  |   Links  |   Chat Room  |   Apparel  |   Advertising  |   Suggestion Box  |   About Us

View Advertiser Index
Message Board
I-80 Speedway (NE)
Post a New Response
Return to Message Board Subjects

Subject: Highlights from Night 3 of Al Belt Custom Homes I-80 Nationals 7/22/21

Posted byMessage
Ant9000

I-80 Speedway Rep
Posted on 7/23/2021 1:28:00 AM

Erb Untouchable in I-80 Nationals Finale. Hollatz wins thrilling Don Mohr Tribute Feature
By Anthony Ainslie
7/22/21

Day three of the I-80 Speedway’s five-day stretch of racing saw the finale of the 2nd annual Al Belt Custom Homes I-80 Nationals and the Don Mohr Tribute Race.
The Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series was back in action for the main event of the I-80 Nationals. As well as on hand were the stock cars. A strong field of 40 entries were in the field to challenge for the $2,924 top prize as the division paid tribute to long-time I-80 Speedway stock car driver Don Mohr.
Thursday’s $30,000 to win I-80 Nationals main event saw Wednesday’s feature winner Tyler Erb jump from the pole position to the outside lane to grab the lead early. The New Waverly, Texas native got into a rhythm and proceeded to run away with the show.
As the race went on Brandon Overton and Spencer Hughes had a close battle for the third position. For a little while, the battle for position included Ricky Weiss, but the Canadian driver faded back late in the race.
After 53 caution-free laps, Tyler Erb took home the $30,000 in very convincing fashion leading every lap to score his second consecutive Lucas Oil Series win at I-80 Speedway. Hudson O’Neal finished second, while Brandon Overton passed Spencer Hughes on the final corner to notch a third-place finish. Hughes would have to settle for fourth, and Ricky Thornton Jr. rounded out the top five.
The Don Mohr Tribute stock car feature was action packed from start to finish. Steve Churchill took the opening lead and showed the way for the first three laps before spinning out in front of the field while leading bringing out the caution flag for the first time.
The spin handed the lead over to Jordan Grabowski. When racing resumed, Grabowski led while Cale Osborn gave him a tough challenge for the lead. As the race went on, Iowa natives Jesse Sobbing and Chanse Hollatz made their ways to the front.
Sobbing went up and challenged Osborn and Grabowski for the lead going three abreast on multiple occasions. There was some paint traded and some fenders bent, but the racing was tight, and the crowd was on edge seeing what would happen next.
Bad Luck struck Sobbing as he suffered a mechanical issue while leading with only seven laps remaining. The incident would hand the lead back to Grabowski.
After the final caution came out with just four laps left, Grabowski continued to lead, but now Chanse Hollatz was in prime position to challenge for the lead. Hollatz chased down Grabwski and made the winning pass on him with only two laps remaining.
From there, Chanse Hollatz took home his first win at I-80 Speedway in only his second ever appearance at the track. The Clear Lake, Iowa native would take the $2,924 top prize and the Don Mohr Tribute victory. Grabowski would have to settle for second while Cale Osborn took third. Benji Legg and Jed Williams finished out the top five.

Post Your Response View Messages
View dirtdrivers.com Membership Information

To post messages you must be logged in as a member of dirtdrivers.com.

View Copyright Infringement Contact Information

View Advertiser Index

Register
Become a registered user of dirtdrivers.com!
 Register Now!

Dirt Driver Directory
Ever wondered what your favorite driver does for a living? When he or she started racing? What is behind the number on the car? You don't have to wonder anymore!
 View Dirt Driver Directory

Classifieds
Looking for any new or used racing parts? Check out our online classified section to help find the parts you need!
 View Classifieds

Suggestion Box
Have a suggestion for dirtdrivers.com? Send us an email or drop a suggestion into our Suggestion Box! We welcome your ideas!
 Visit Suggestion Box

Muscle Cars

© Copyright by dirtdrivers.com 2021.
All rights reserved. Reproduction of material appearing on this Web site
is strictly prohibited without written permission.