Dirt Drivers 373 Active Users
Register Now  |  Log In
Home   Message Boards   Classifieds   Dirt Driver Directory(tm)   Race Results   Rainout Report(tm)
Login  |   Register Now  |   Memberships  |   Links  |   Chat Room  |   Apparel  |   Advertising  |   Suggestion Box  |   About Us

View Advertiser Index
Message Board
I-80 Speedway (NE)
Post a New Response
Return to Message Board Subjects

Subject: Highlights from 2021 VP Racing Fuels Charlie Clark Memorial 5/30/21

Posted byMessage
Ant9000

I-80 Speedway Rep
Posted on 5/30/2021 11:36:11 PM

Hobscheidt becomes newest Charlie Clark Memorial Champion. Oaks wins Jamie Spanel Tribute. Sobbing and Harker also Victorious
By Anthony Ainslie
5/30/21

A new champion was crowned in I-80 Speedway’s annual Memorial Day modified special Sunday night.
After taking the Friday of Memorial Day weekend off, it was time for the I-80’s annual Charlie Clark Memorial. This year’s event had a more special feel to it as the compact division paid tribute to the late Jamie Spanel with a big $1,015 to win main event. The sport mods and Bragging Rights late models were also on hand for a brisk Sunday evening of racing.
The modified feature was a pair of 22-lap features with a 2 minute and 22 second pit stop between them. A big story developed right before the race began as the defending race winner and heavy favorite, Jordan Grabowski, had mechanical issues and did not start the race.
Feature one went caution-free and was led flag to flag by Hastings native Justin Gregg. As he led, Jesse Sobbing and Jacob Hobscheidt had a highly contested battle for fourth.
Gregg won the first segment with Dylan Sillman and Todd Schute finishing the podium with Hobscheidt and Sobbing rounding out the top five going into the pit stop.
After the pit stop was completed, the top six finishers would invert their starting positions for the second segment. Dakota Sproul was the sixth-place car at the end of the first segment, so he would be on pole. However, his crew could not complete their pit stop in time, so Sproul was sent to the rear of the field. Dylan Sillman would also be sent to the rear for not having a fast enough stop.
The penalties put Jacob Hobscheidt and Jesse Sobbing on the front row for the second segment. Hobscheidt beat Sobbing to the clean air on the start, and from the drop of the green all the way to the checkered flag, the defending track champion led the way to score the second segment win.
Sobbing would finish second with Todd Schute taking third. Justin Gregg and Cody Thompson rounded out the top five. With his fourth-place finish in the first segment and his win in the second, Jacob Hobscheidt was crowned the Overall Champion of the 2021 Charlie Clark Memorial.
The compacts paid tribute to one of the division’s most decorated drivers in Jamie Spanel with a 15-lap main event. Early on it was Dillon Richards showing the way. The Beatrice native led until Steffen Oaks made the go-ahead pass for the lead as they came off turn two. From there, the Lincoln driver scored his fourth win at I-80 of the year taking the $1,015 payday winning the Jamie Spanel Tribute. Richards finished second while Zach Bohlmeyer, Caine Mahlberg and Kaytee Devries rounded out the top five.
The 22-lap Bragging Rights late model main event kicked off with Brandon Saltzman leading the way. He would command the field up until the yellow flag came out for a spun lapped car in turn one.
On the ensuing restart, Jesse Sobbing went around Saltzman for the lead on the outside, and the driver out of Malvern, Iowa added another feature win to his 2021 resume at I-80 Speedway. He would win the Bragging Rights feature in convincing fashion with Todd Cooney coming in second and Cole Wayman taking third. Jake Bridge and Saltzman would round out the top five.
The sport mods also had a 22-lap feature as well. Early on, it was Devyn Peterson showing the way. The Milford driver led the first half of the race before Shawn Harker took command and ran away with the show.
Harker went on to score his 102nd career feature win at I-80 Speedway with his Charlie Clark Memorial triumph. Lance Borgman would finish second with Tyler Nerud coming in third. Peterson would finish fourth, and Matt Andrews rounded out the top five.

Post Your Response View Messages
View dirtdrivers.com Membership Information

To post messages you must be logged in as a member of dirtdrivers.com.

View Copyright Infringement Contact Information

View Advertiser Index

Register
Become a registered user of dirtdrivers.com!
 Register Now!

Dirt Driver Directory
Ever wondered what your favorite driver does for a living? When he or she started racing? What is behind the number on the car? You don't have to wonder anymore!
 View Dirt Driver Directory

Classifieds
Looking for any new or used racing parts? Check out our online classified section to help find the parts you need!
 View Classifieds

Suggestion Box
Have a suggestion for dirtdrivers.com? Send us an email or drop a suggestion into our Suggestion Box! We welcome your ideas!
 Visit Suggestion Box

Muscle Cars

© Copyright by dirtdrivers.com 2021.
All rights reserved. Reproduction of material appearing on this Web site
is strictly prohibited without written permission.